I have been challenged by Medieval Otaku to list ten novelists that deserve to be a top ten. Despite my great respect for Dostoyevsky and Dumas, my list will not include anyone who did not write in English. One thing I include in my evaluation of novels is their ability to use the language, and translations generally beat up the beauty of the language in a dark alley before publication, hence why I do not include such accomplished authors as Dostoyevsky. So I suppose this might be better titled: Top Ten English Novels, or something to that effect. I have also included the title of the novel that I appreciated most, or had the strongest affect upon me.
1. G. K. Chesterton: The Flying Inn
2. George MacDonald: Lilith
3. Charles Williams: War in Heaven
4. C. S. Lewis: That Hideous Strength
5. Graham Greene: The End of the Affair
6. Arthur C. Clarke: The City and the Stars
7. H. G. Wells: The Island of Dr. Moreau
8. J. R. R. Tolkien: The Smith of Wooton Major
9. Andrew Klavan: Agnes Mallory
10. Stephen King: Salem’s Lot
What do you think?